LAN Monitor v1.4.4
** Updated December 21, 2009
Karen's LAN Monitor starts by displaying important information about every network adapter on your computer. These details include the adapter's speed, IP address(es), DHCP Lease information, and more.
Next, the program shows all current connections between your computer and others on the local network, and on the Internet. You'll see the name and IP address of the remote computer, and the type of connection (HTTP, POP3, FTP, etc) that's being made!
The LAN Monitor also displays real-time traffic statistics, including bytes sent and received, transmission errors, and network connection load factors.
Note: The LAN Monitor requires features that are not included in Windows 95. As a result, Windows 98, or later, is required.
For more information, read these back issues of Karen's Power Tools newsletter:
|Download Karen's LAN Monitor||SHA-1|
|Download and run to install LAN Monitor||968,336 bytes|
|Download VB6 Source Code||SHA-1|
|Programmers only||224,440 bytes|
|Download Visual Basic Runtime v6.0||SHA-1|
|Note: Karen's LAN Monitor's installer will automatically download and run the Visual Basic Runtime installer, if necessary.||1 MB|
- Version 1.4.4: Added workaround to handle network adapters that report a speed of "-1" (some Intel Wi-Fi adapters on some Toshiba laptops, and perhaps others). Also added additional code to handle situations where more than 8 GB of data are sent or received during a time period (previously, this could cause the reported data volume to be negative).
- Version 1.4.3: Fixed bug that caused the program to display incoming load factor in place of outgoing load factor. Also corrected a mispelling of "protocol" on one tab.
- Version 1.4.2: Changed the way the program highlights error counts on the Traffic tab (no longer scrolls down to the error count line to ensure it's visible -- this caused annoying flicker).
- Version 1.4.1: Added code to program to unregister "Karen's IP Object", before attempting to re-register it, if the object can't be created at startup. Hopefully this will help solve problems some users are having with access to the object.
- Version 1.4.0: Added Incoming/Outgoing data and error rates to "Traffic" tab. Program will now report number of bytes/minute and packets/minute transmitted and received, and errors detected/minute, during the last 30 seconds, the last 5 minutes, the last hour, and since Windows started.
- Version 1.3.4: Worked around problem caused by some versions of Windows that don't support the RAS API structures they should.
- Version 1.3.2: Worked around problem caused by some versions of Windows that incorrectly indicate they support Unicode versions of Windows API calls.
- Version 1.3: Program can now display several new statistics. These include information about TCP packets, UDP datagrams, and ICMP packets (pings). The program also resolves the names of remote computers more quickly, by keeping a cache of resently resolved names and IP addresses.
- Version 1.2.4: Fixed bug that prevented program from displaying Phonebook Entries on systems using more than one RAS device.
- Version 1.2.3: Fixed bug that caused error 6 (overflow) when detecting some versions of Windows.
- Version 1.2.1: Fixed bug that caused program to fail with "Error: 35600 Index out of bounds" on some system. Also modified program so it doesn't encounter an error computing and adapter's load factor, when the adapter's driver reports the devices maximum speed as "0 bits per second". .
- Version 1.2: Program now displays name of program on local computer communicating via each network connection (if your version of Windows supports this featue). Also lists all dial-up phone books, and detailed information about each phonebook entry. All information can now be copied to the Windows clipboard, or saved to disk.
- Version 1.0.1: Fixed a bad shortcut in the installation program. Only the setup program was changed. The LAN Manager itself is still version 1.0.
- Version 1.0: This is the first release.