Drive Info v2.3.1
** Updated Mar 28, 2005
Learn the hidden secrets of your disk, CD, and DVD drives. Are your files compressed? How big is each drive? Does the drive support Long File Names (LFN)? Karen's Drive Info reveals all this and more.
For more information, read these back issues of Karen's Power Tools newsletter:
|Download Visual Basic Runtime v6.0||SHA-1|
|Required to install and run Drive Info||1 MB|
|Download Karen's Drive Info||SHA-1|
|Download and run to install Drive Info||1,017,056 bytes|
|Download VB6 Source Code||SHA-1|
|Programmers only||137,440 bytes|
- Version 2.3.1: Worked around bug in Windows' GetDriveFreeSpace API call that sometimes causes it to fail if drive letter specification of a local drive is not followed by a trailing backslash ("\").
- Version 2.3: Fixed bug that caused the program to interpret the "Drive Is Compressed" setting as "Drive Can Be Compressed"
- Version 2.2: Added new property, local name of network drive. Also fixed bug that could cause incorrect information to be displayed about drives that are not ready, off-line, etc.
- Version 2.1: Added several new disk properties, including Encryption support, Unicode support, Quota support, Quota remaining, Quota limit, percent used, percent free, percent of quota remaining. Also allow columns and rows to be swapped/interchanged.
- Version 2.0.1: Fixed bug that sometimes caused program to crash when user click on cell displaying File System name.
- Version 2.0: Program displays information in an easy-to-read grid. Main window can now be resized by user. Available information now includes longest possible file name.
- Version 1.7.2: Program no longer tries to remember its screen position when minimized.
- Version 1.7.1: Changes way program estimates cluster size for FAT32 drives.
- Version 1.6.1: Fixes a typo in a button's Tooltip Text.
- Version 1.6: Now properly handles very large drives
- Version 1.5.1: Recognizes DVD drives, improves cluster size detection for older versions of Windows. Also handles larger drive sizes.
- Version 1.5: Now uses the GetDiskFreeSpaceEX API call, available only in Win95 OSR2 and later, when available to obtain the size of a drive, and its mount of free space. Older versions used the original GetDiskFreeSpace API call, which didn't handle large drives (2GB+) correctly. now uses the GetDiskFreeSpaceEX API call, available only in Win95 OSR2 and later, when available to obtain the size of a drive, and its mount of free space. Older versions used the original GetDiskFreeSpace API call, which didn't handle large drives (2GB+) correctly.
- Version 1.4: Fixes bug that caused program to report meaningless disk capacity and free space numbers for drives that were unavailable. Thanks to reader William Jarvis for this report!
- Version 1.3: Ported to VB 6.0. Main window is no longer resizable by the user (the program handles that automatically). The program also remembers the last screen location of its main window, and automatically places the main window there the next time the program is executed.
- Version 1.2: Fixes an overflow problem that occured with drives larger than 2 GB.
- Version 1.1: Thanks to reader Jim Sinkiewicz, a misspelling of FS_VOLUME_IS_COMPRESSED has been corrected. And the display of cluster sizes for NTFS, CDFS and FAT32 file systems has been changed.