Directory Printer v5.3.3
** Updated November 6, 2009
No more fumbling with My Computer or Windows Explorer, wishing you could print information about all your files. Karen's Directory Printer can print the name of every file on a drive, along with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive)! And now, the list of files can be sorted by name, size, date created, date last modified, or date of last access.
For more information, read these issues of Karen's Power Tools newsletter:
|Download Karen's Directory Printer||SHA-1|
|Download and run to install Directory Printer
Karen forgot to change the version number and date on the installer you download.
File properties of ptdirprn-setup.exe says file version 5.3.2, but it installs 5.3.3. You can verify your installed version by clicking the About button.
|Download VB6 Source Code||SHA-1|
|Programmers only||277,800 bytes|
|Download Visual Basic Runtime v6.0||SHA-1|
|Note: Karen's Directory Printer's installer will automatically download and run the Visual Basic Runtime installer, if necessary.||1 MB|
Known Bugs/Enhancement Opportunities
- Right-click on UNC-style network volume causes Directory Printer to navigate to its own installation directory because of parsing failure.
- (available soon) Version 5.4.0: Various bug fixes to be released to customers on Spring 2018 Power Tools CD and Web Update, free download Fall 2018 (planned by JmW)
- Version 5.3.3: Shared library code changed? (Karen compiled this version in November, 2009.)
- Version 5.3.2: Allowed program to browse unlimited number of network providers, domains, servers and shares. Previously this had been limited to approximately 16 of each type of object.
- Version 5.3.1: Fixed odd bug that prevented you from selecting a sub-folder of a folder found inside one of the "Special Folders" such as My Desktop.
- Version 5.3.0: Added option to hide (not save or display) Hidden, System and/or Read-Only files and folders.
- Version 5.2.9: Made another change that should fix the bug originally reported fixed in version 5.2.7.
- Version 5.2.8: Improved handling of "remembered" UNC-style file names.
- Version 5.2.7: Fixed bug that prevented proper sorting of files and folders by file size.
- Version 5.2.6: Fixed bug that could cause program to crash if the last folder whose information was printed or saved doesn't exist when the program is restarted.
- Version 5.2.5: Fixed bug that could cause the program to crash on computers with no available printers.
- Version 5.2.4: Restored PTHash.dll file to installer, so program can once again compute and display MD5 and SHA-X hash values.
- Version 5.2.3: Added warning message, when user attempts to print or save file information, with no file info items selected (ditto for printing/saving folder information with no folder info selected).
- Version 5.2.2: Fixed bug that prevented program from displaying the settings folder, in the About window, when running under Windows 95, Windows 95 SE and Windows ME.
- Version 5.2.1: Fixed bug that caused sorts by file creation date, date-last-modified and date-last-accessed to come out in the wrong order.
- Version 5.2: Made several changes to make program compatible with Windows Vista. These include a new HTML-format help file, and changes to the location where settings are stored.
- Version 5.1: Changed the "Tabbed Dialog" control to enable the program to work better with screen readers -- tools that help blind and vision-impaired users.
- Version 5.0.3: Program no longer takes "Search Sub-Folders" save-to-disk setting quite so literally. Now, if you're saving folder info only, it will save information about those folders that reside in the selected folder, even though they are technically sub-folders.
- Version 5.0.2: Program no longer takes "Search Sub-Folders" print setting quite so literally. Now, if you're printing folder info only, it will print information about those folders that reside in the selected folder, even though they are technically sub-folders.
- Version 5.0.1: Fixed bug that prevented you from changing the order in which Folder information would print.
- Version 5.0: Program can now compute SHA-224, SHA-256, SHA-384 and SHA-512 hashes of each file, in addition to the SHA-1 and MD5 hashes available previously. You can now select what folder information will be printed or saved, and the order in which it will appear.
- Version 4.3: Sped up program loading. However, the program no longer displays selected folder's statistics when the folder's on-screen entry is expanded. You must now click the folder's on-screen name to see the additional information (file counts, total file sizes, etc.) Note: This only affects what you see on-screen. The information printed, and saved to disk, is unchanged.
- Version 4.2.2: Added workaround for files with invalid Creation/Last Access/Last Modified dates. Add font selection option to new Printer dialog (and as a result, removed the Select Font button from the program's main window).
- Version 4.2.1: Fixed bug that prevented program from operating correctly when launched from the "Print with DirPrn" context menu. Also improved support for printing network folders from the context menu.
- Version 4.2: Added two options when saving folder information to a disk file: Suppress/omit COMMENT lines, and suppress/omit FILE and FOLDER IDs from other lines. Also added new setting on "Other Settings" tab that orders the program to stop remembering your other settings between runs.
- Version 4.1.4: Worked around bug that caused "Invalid Key" error when run under some editions of Windows (French?). Sped up initial load of program.
- Version 4.1.3: Fixed bug that prevented printing in selected font color. Made more changes to support for non-default printers.
- Version 4.1.2: Improved support for non-Default printers.
- Version 4.1.1: Added section to Help file documenting the new Printer Settings dialog.
- Version 4.1: Changed the way the program asks for printer settings, to (hopefully) work around a bug that prevented some users from printing.
- Version 4.0.2: Eliminated a spurious error message that appeared when selecting "Print with DirPrn ..." from the folder right-click context menu.
- Version 4.0.1: Fixed bug that caused program to fail with "Error 438" on some systems.
- Version 4.0: Add many new features. You can now control the order in which information is printed or saved. Also added option to print a file's SHA1 hash (in addition to the previous option to print MD5 hashes). In addition to a file's size, you can now print the amount of disk space a file uses (taking into account Windows' disk compression feature).
- Version 3.4: Added option to print MD5 Hash of each file. Also added Printer Setup button, allowing user to select printer, and paper orientation.
- Version 3.3.3: Fixed bug that prevented program from saving to disk files whose names contained more than one period (".").
- Version 3.3: Added support for file filters, only printing information about certain types of files.
- Version 3.2: Can now sort by file type (extension). This version also adds sorting capabilities to reports saved to disk.
- Version 3.1: Can now sort by date created.
- Version 3.0: Can sort lists of files by name, size, date last modified, and date of last access.
- Version 2.10: Can report file sizes greater than 2 GB. You can also now stop the program while it is printing or saving information to disk.
- Version 2.9: Can add "Print with DirPrn" to the context menus that appear when right-clicking a folder or drive's icon. It can also record the date/time a file was created and modified, whether printing the report, or saving it to disk.
- Version 2.8: Optionally prints the number of files found in each directory, and the total size of those files. It also expands the list of potentially "unsafe" files, originally added in version 2.7.
- Version 2.7: Optionally highlights the names of other potentially "unsafe" files.
- Version 2.6: Optionally highlights the names of executable files.
- Version 2.5: Aligns the columns of printed reports.
- Version 2.4: Displays the login name of the current user, and the name of the computer preparing each report, in the heading area of each printed page. It also makes the Save to Disk option more visible by adding a "Save To Disk" button on the program's main window.
- Version 2.3: Can print information to a disk file, in addition to creating printed lists of file information.
- Version 2.0: Was ported to VB 6.0. Hopefully, this will fix problems with earlier versions of Visual Basic which caused programs to sometimes forget the selected printer font, and revert to the default font of the printer.
- Version 2.0: The program has been enhanced to print file attributes (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive). The program also remembers the last screen location of its main window, and the most recently-selected printer font, and automatically restores this information the next time it is executed.