** Updated Aug 30, 2008
Query the 200+ top-level domain registries and Regional Internet Registries around the world,
and returns information about Internet sites. Information available
includes owner of domain name, and often owner's mailing address, email
address, phone number, and fax number.
For more information, read these back issues of Karen's Power Tools newsletter:
- Version 2.6.6 (Aug 30 2008 Refresh): Updates the WhoIs and RIR server databases. No changes to the program itself.
- Version 2.6.6: Changed the way internal data files are stored to be more compatible with Windows Vista's security features. Also updated RIR information. Now current as of July 30th, 2007.
- Version 2.6.5: Added support for new/aborning ".PRO" Top-Level Domain.
- Version 2.6.4: Updated RIR information. Now current as of July 3rd, 2006.
- Version 2.6.3: Updated program to handle new German WhoIs server's (.de TLD) requirements.
- Version 2.6.1: Updated RIR information. Now current as of October 12th, 2005.
- Version 2.6: Changed the way the program detects updated RIR information.
- Version 2.5: Changed the "Tabbed Dialog" control to enable the program to work better with screen readers -- tools that help blind and vision-impaired users.
- Versin 2.4.1: Fixed bug that caused Cancel button to be disabled.
- Version 2.4: Updated Brazil's (.br) and Organization (.org) WhoIs servers. Added support for new RIR (AfriNIC). Regenerated IP-to-RIR table.
- Version 2.3: Updated TLD table to reflect new WhoIs database authority for .org TLDs. Also improved program's handling of reponses from WhoIs servers that consist of multiple data packets. Program also accepts a domain name or IP address passed via its command line, to accomodate new feature added to Karen's URL Discombobulator.
- Version 2.2.5: Added support for new RIR, Latin American and Caribbean Internet Addresses Registry (lacnic.net). Also updated IP address blocks assigned to the Asian Pacific Internet Registry (apnic.net).
- Version 2.2.4: Updated TLD table to include new gTLDs: .info, .biz, .aero, .coop, .museum, and .name.
- Version 2.2.3: Update TLD table to reflect ISI.edu's departure from the WhoIs server business.
The .us TLD is now served by whois.nic.us,
and the .edu TLD is now served by rs.internic.net.
- Version 2.2.2: Updated IP lookup via ARIN to adjust to new ARIN network WhoIs lookup syntax.
- Version 2.1.1: Can now automatically select RIR, based on each RIR's IP Address allocations.
- Version 2.0: Can now query Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) for information about IP Address blocks.
- Version 1.2: Greatly expanded list of ccTLD's fixed SLDs.
This should solve many problems locating information in ccTLDs such as India, Indonesia, Mexico, Poland, etc.
- Version 1.1.1: Expanded list of MIL SLDs.
- Version 1.1: Can now lookup information about generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs) and country-code TLDs (ccTLDs).
- Version 1.0: None (this is the first release)